President Xi Jinping delivers a keynote speech via video at the opening ceremony of the Boao Forum for Asia Annual Conference 2022, on April 21, 2022. [Photo/Xinhua]
President Xi Jinping attended the opening of the 2022 Boao Forum for Asia via video link and delivered a keynote speech on Thursday. It is the sixth time Xi has delivered a keynote speech at the event, held in Boao, Hainan province. Here are the highlights:
- No difficulties could ever stop the wheel of history. Faced with the many challenges, we must not lose confidence, hesitate or flinch. Instead, we must firm up confidence and press ahead against all odds.
- To break through the mist and embrace a bright future, the biggest strength comes from cooperation and the most effective way is through solidarity.
- Xi proposed a Global Security Initiative to promote security for all in the world.
- Security is the precondition for development and humanity are living in an indivisible security community.
- It has been proven time and again that the Cold War mentality would only wreck the global peace framework, that hegemonism and power politics would only endanger world peace, and that bloc confrontation would only exacerbate security challenges in the 21st century.
- Countries around the world are like passengers aboard the same ship who share the same destiny. For the ship to navigate the storm and sail toward a bright future, all passengers must pull together. The thought of throwing anyone overboard is simply not acceptable.
- In this day and age, the international community has evolved so much that it has become a sophisticated and integrated apparatus. Acts to remove any single part will cause serious problems to its operation.When that happens, both the victims and the initiators of such acts will stand to lose.
- It is particularly important for major countries to lead by example in honoring equality, cooperation, good faith and the rule of law, and act in a way befitting their status.
- We should make Asia an anchor for world peace, a powerhouse for global growth and a new pacesetter for international cooperation.
- Countries, no matter their size and strength, and both in and outside the region, should all add splendor rather than trouble to Asia.
- Peace and stability in our region does not fall into our lap automatically or come as charity from any country. Rather, it is the result of the joint efforts of countries in the region.
- The Chinese economy will provide great dynamism for the stability and recovery of the world economy and broader market opportunities for all countries.
- For humanity to clinch a final victory against the COVID-19 pandemic, more hard efforts are needed. It is essential that countries support each other, better coordinate response measures and improve global public health governance, so as to form strong international synergy against the pandemic。
- When policies are implemented, measures adopted and actions taken, we should always give top priority to bettering people's lives.